[in the news] The Fedora Project Recognizes Student Contributor with Fedora Scholarship

Kara Schiltz kschiltz at redhat.com
Thu Jun 2 13:43:13 UTC 2011

Business Wire
6.2.11
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110602005157/en/Fedora-Project-Recognizes-Student-Contributor-Fedora-Scholarship

*The Fedora Project Recognizes Student Contributor with Fedora Scholarship*

/Ricky Elrod Named Fourth Annual Scholarship Recipient for Work Within
Free and Open Source Software/

RALEIGH, N.C.--The Fedora Project, a Red Hat, Inc. (NYSE: RHT) sponsored
and community-supported open source collaboration, today announced that
Ricky Elrod is the recipient of the 2011 Fedora Scholarship, a program
now in its fourth year. The Fedora Scholarship program recognizes
college and university-bound students across the globe for their
contributions to free software and the Fedora Project. Elrod has spent
significant time working within Fedora's Infrastructure Team, a group of
volunteers that manage the servers and applications that run Fedora. He
was selected from an impressive applicant pool and plans to continue his
education at the University of Akron this fall and major in Computer
Science*.*

Fedora is built by a worldwide community of people and is inclusive for
anyone to join and contribute across multiple functions from content
writers, designers and marketers to translators, web developers and
system administrators. Fedora and Red Hat are committed to fostering the
talent of young contributors and aim to encourage students to gain
hands-on experience with open source software and lead in the creation
and spread of free code and content.

"We are very pleased to be awarding the Fedora Scholarship to Ricky this
year," said Jared Smith, Fedora Project Leader at Red Hat. "His
contributions to the Fedora Infrastructure Team have made a positive
impact to help everything from our project website and wiki to the
package builder and update manager run smoothly. We thank Ricky for his
numerous contributions and look forward to his continued work with
Fedora as he attends university and pursues his degree."

Fedora Scholarship applicants are evaluated on criteria including the
quality of contributions made to Fedora and other free software
projects, references provided by Fedora community members, the amount of
time the applicant has been contributing to Fedora and the overall
quality of the application. Recipients are awarded a scholarship to be
applied toward tuition for the student's college or university
education. Fedora Scholarship winners also receive funding for travel
and lodging at the Fedora User and Developer Conference (FUDCon) nearest
to their location for each year of the scholarship.

"I would like to say a huge 'thank you' to the Fedora Infrastructure
team and the Fedora Project as a whole, for showing me, and many people
like me, that open source software is easy to contribute to from any
level of experience," said Elrod. "Thank you to all who make Fedora the
great project that it is, and the great project that it will continue to
be."

The 2012 application window will open in fall 2011. For more
information, visit https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Scholarship
<http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&div=bfahacajje&url=https%3A%2F%2Ffedoraproject.org%2Fwiki%2FScholarship&esheet=6745495&lan=en-US&anchor=https%3A%2F%2Ffedoraproject.org%2Fwiki%2FScholarship&index=1&md5=8bfdf9d7e1912b48bbf924a24ec9eab7>.

For more information on the Fedora Project, please visit
http://fedoraproject.org/
<http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&div=bfahacajje&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffedoraproject.org%2F&esheet=6745495&lan=en-US&anchor=http%3A%2F%2Ffedoraproject.org%2F&index=2&md5=34eb99987b520657e1e30e3d8b666cca>.
For more information on Red Hat, visit www.redhat.com
<http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&div=bfahacajje&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redhat.com%2F&esheet=6745495&lan=en-US&anchor=www.redhat.com&index=3&md5=086469540539cb04f41e3edb7b71da93>.
For more news, more often, visit www.press.redhat.com
<http://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&div=bfahacajje&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.press.redhat.com%2F&esheet=6745495&lan=en-US&anchor=www.press.redhat.com&index=4&md5=773600d833be8f3102ed020f252bf9ac>.