"Red Hat Releases Fedora 18 Beta"

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 28 02:21:58 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 08:03:40PM -0600, inode0 wrote:
> view of Fedora even within Fedora. Fedora is different things to
> different people and unfortunately one of the persistent, although
> perhaps waning, issues we deal with promoting Fedora is people put off
> by the impression that is really all Fedora is. So I'd like to see

I hear understand this point of view, but would like to counterbalance it.
(Speaking here as a Fedoraean, not a Red Hatter, although I am that too.)

Fedora is particularly interesting to some people *because* of our
relationship with Red Hat, and that's a very nice thing for us. Both Fedora
and Red Hat take huge benefits from that mutual, bidirectional connection --
*as do users of both operating systems*.

There is a very real risk of Fedora being a self-referential toy operating
system no one really uses (where "no one" excepts a few strange people like
me who have been running it as my sole OS for years). Instead, we should
emphasize and take advantage of our ecosystem -- Fedora, RHEL, EPEL,
CentOS/Scientific Linux, the whole shebang. Each part makes the whole thing
stronger.