"Red Hat Releases Fedora 18 Beta"

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 15:36:38 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> > > "The post you point to is nearly a week old, not a release
> > > announcement for the beta. Perhaps there is a better choice for a
> > > community-generated release announcement (though I didn't see one
> > > in a quick look), but what you point to is not it, I'm afraid. We
> > > generally prefer those kinds of announcements over press releases
> > > (with proper or improper subjects), fwiw."
> > > jake one of LWN editors.
> > >
> > > In short if we would have made an announcement they would have
> > > published it over the press releases ( which says even more about
> > > the quality of the news site ) so why was our FPL first and
> > > foremost not focusing on getting our own announcement out the
> > > door
> > > instead of theirs?
> > >
> > > Who is ultimately responsible for ensuring release announcements
> > > go
> > > out the door?
> >
> > For Alpha and Beta, as long as i can remember, release engineering
> > has done the announcement. For final, the FPL does the
> > announcement.
> > That said, this may be some sort of "historical knowledge of how it
> > happens" thing and not actually an SOP- in looking through releng's
> > sop's i didnt see anything there, and the marketing sop is not
> > completed.
> >
> > But at the end of the day - yeah, that's me in the ultimately
> > responsible spot. I ddin't notice the lack thereof, nobody yelled,
> > screwed up. It happens. It's not a case of me "prioritizing" one
> > over the other, though.
>
> Well, it's also my fault - not rechecking the true state of things :(
> As currently it's the part of Readiness meeting, checking the logs -
> "Beta announce will be firmed up for Tuesday (reported by rbergeron)
> (jreznik, 19:38:53)". So, what's the state of Marketing sop right
> now?
>
> Also what we need is to educate the news, bloggers etc. as it's
> quite common Fedora is referred as Red Hat product and for people
> not directly involved in Fedora Project it could look like that
> and it's harder to understand the relationship. Do we have any
> guide (on Wiki) we could point people to? In case we saw this and
> to try to fix it?
>
> It still means we need it out asap - anybody from Marketing around?
> We have https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F18_Alpha_release_announcement
> but not for Beta :(
>
> Second action item is to explain "in marketing way" the delays
> behind F18 release (where the slip announcements are not very
> useful) to community. Ambassadors already asked for that... I'm
> willing to help with it (or both).

Ok,
based on F17 Beta/F18 Alpha and "that" announcement - I started the Beta
one [1] - please take a look - or extend it with more moo-ish as for
Alpha ;-) Would be great to get it out asap. What are the places we
send Beta announcement?

And it could be a nice place where to mention the delays, I'll try
to write it there too - again, any help from real writers and
marketing people welcomed :)

Jaroslav

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F18_Beta_release_announcement