Best Fedora Mag day ever!

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 14:14:38 UTC 2014

 >On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 01:30:30PM +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Paul W. Frields píše v So 09. 08. 2014 v 10:24 +0200:
> > Thursday's posts generated the biggest day of traffic ever for the
> > Fedora Magazine -- over 6500 views!
>
> Yes!
>
> BTW when you look at the daily views you see two waves: the first,
> smaller one is GUADEC and the second, bigger is Flock. Looks like
> covering open source events that are related to Fedora brings a lot of
> attention.
>
> It's also quite interesting to check sources of traffic. Reddit is #1.
> Google+ #2 and if we tweet about Fedora Magazine Twitter also generates
> a lot of traffic, we just don't post as much as on G+ there. Facebook
> only generates 10 percent of what G+ does. Not sure if we can do much
> about it.

There are a few things we could do, given those numbers.  Obviously we
don't want to astroturf Reddit[1].  But we could certainly check to
make sure we have good consistency with Twitter, G+, and Facebook.  If
we're quite consistent, and one or two of those services really sticks
out, we should double down on using it to get word out.

I also noticed that our posts on desktop technology, like Wayland and
Christian Schaller's Workstation talk, generated the bulk of hits.
I'd say we should try to keep that drumbeat going over time, as we
work on integration of desktop features in Fedora.  Clearly, despite
people insisting "desktop is over," people are interested. ;-)

* * *
[1] Full disclosure: I'm one of the last FOSS people around who
    doesn't do anything with, or know much about, Reddit.  But I
    assume one doesn't just post self-serving things there?