Marketing the workstation as suitable for both developers and normal end users

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 18:08:11 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-12-11 at 07:35 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I've seen a little chatter over this, but I think the devel-list
> thread
> blows it out of proportion. The general reaction -- including the
> press
> -- doesn't seem to share this concern.
>
> Actually, I'm a little concerned that we're not getting strong enough
> messaging the other way. We really want to developers to feel like we
> care about _them_. It's going to take a little while to establish
> that.

OK - I've been looking around for feedback to understand this better. I
just noticed this:

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/59519/are-we-actively-trying-to-dissuade-home-users-from-using-fedora/

He says:
"
> The Workstation page is very focused on developers and doing work. As
> a home user, this clearly isn't for me. I was just about to download
> Fedora Workstation to install on my home computer, but having read
> just that one page, I'm now going to install Ubuntu Gnome instead.
>
> Are were actively trying to dissuade home users from using Fedora
> Workstation? If so, kudos to the website team for communicating Fedora
> Workstation's new focus so clearly! But if we still want average home
> users to use Fedora, we're getting it very wrong.
"

It looks like we've done quite a decent job of highlighting that the
workstation is great for devs, and we seem to be confusing our "non dev"
users.

As far as my understanding goes, the workstation makes it easy for devs
to use it, but it still includes everything that a general user needs -
like the desktop live used to - should we clarify this?
--
Thanks,
Regards,