DNF Article

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Fri Feb 6 14:57:16 UTC 2015

On 02/05/2015 10:54 PM, Glen Rundblom wrote:
> Hello Marketing Group.
> I have an article about DNF in the pending state. Could someone take a
> few minutes and review it to see if it's something that would be good
> for the magazine. I also made a little PNG graphic with Gimp script-fu
> if that would be beneficial.
>
> Thank you,
> -Glen

I just checked out your article, and it looks like a great concept for
an article.

It would be good to provide a lot more detail a couple of points that
would be nice to cover and fleshed out would be:

* a brief explanation of what YUM/DNF actually are and do on a
conceptual level -- our audience range on the Magazine is kinda broad,
so it would be nice to have a sentence or two on this for people that
might not know exactly what a package manager does.

* "DNF will have a lot more features, and new ways to operate." -- it
would be nice to list some of the changes and new features out in here
-- as well as an explanation as to why DNF is better

* comparing the sample commands might also be good too: something like:
   "Searching for packages with DNF is basically the same as with yum.
To Search for the repositories for a package with DNF, use the command:
sudo dnf search nano, and dnf will return ..."

* DNF is not the default in f21, so it would also be good to explain how
people can use it on f21 -- what package needs to be installed etc. I
think there is also a package that makes it so DNF is run when you type
yum, so this might be worth mentioning as well

* Not sure when DNF is going to be the default, but it might be good to
try to find out if / when this is on the plans in Fedora for, and
mentioning that too.

cheers,
ryanlerch