Github pages/Pelican article

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 12:53:48 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 09:24:08AM +0100, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-10-08 at 23:25 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > I finished editing this article, and it should be ready for
> > publication once it has a featured image.
>
> Thanks, Paul. :)
>

> > One note to authors: When you create an article draft, please take
> > the
> > time to fully outline the steps required for a user, AND test them.
> > Editors may not always have the ability to check the technical
> > details
> > in your article, which results in a less useful magazine post.
>
> I hope I'd covered everything for this one. I did test it all out
> here[1].

The main discrepancies I found were:

1. No explanation of what Pelican or Github Pages are (not every
reader may know, even skilled ones)

2. Specific notes on answering setup questions in pelican-quickstart

3. Note needed about error message from quickstart (output dir already
exists)

4. When you write commands, rather than embedding comments in the
commands, explain them in text. That way you are not space-constrained
by the length of a command line.

> I was a bit unsure if the submodule part would scare away users tbh -
> quite a few people seem find them complicated to use - but that is
> really the best way to go about it at present. Once the newer version
> of ghp lands in Fedora, only one repository should be required.
>
> [1] http://sanjayankur31.github.io/

Thanks for the article Ankur!