Self-Introduction: Justin W. Flory

Justin W. Flory jflory7 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 19:48:33 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I was going through the wiki for joining the marketing group, and
realized that I never formally introduced myself to the list, although
I've been posting intermittently for Fedora Magazine / other misc.
things. So I figured better late than never.

My name is Justin W. Flory and I am currently living in Rochester, NY as
a first-year student at the Rochester Institute of Technology (majoring
in Networking and Systems Administration). My FAS username / IRC nick /
general online handle is jflory7.

I've been lurking in the channels and mailing lists since early 2014 or
so, but after attending this year's Flock in Rochester, I've been trying
to become more active (it was really easy after meeting all of the
awesome people at this year's Flock!) and contribute in any way that I
can to the Fedora Project. So far, I've found myself involved with
marketing activities the most of all the different areas of Fedora, so I
feel like this is the best group for me to join.

This is my second FOSS project that I am looking at contributing
towards. My first project that I spend a good amount of time with is
with the SpigotMC project, which is a Java-based Minecraft server
software. I do not assist with the development, but I am a community
moderator and have a great deal of experience with interacting with the
community over there. Indirectly because of Spigot, that's actually I
stumbled into using Fedora close to two years ago.

This is my first marketing project that I've wanted to participate with,
and I do not have a formal background in marketing, but it is an area
that interests me greatly as I think it's one of the most important
aspects of any project, especially in open-source.

The skills that I hope to be able to utilize in the Fedora Marketing
group are:
- Content Creation (Fedora Magazine, Fedora Planet, etc.)
- University Outreach Initiative (and assisting with any projects /
planning for that initiative if possible)
- I'm also very open to learning new things and acquiring new skills,
particularly in terms of marketing in an open-source project

When I am not working on Fedora, I am a student at RIT (participating in
the university Linux Users Group, the local FOSS community, and more) as
well as running my own Minecraft server and working on other projects
for Spigot (my current task with Spigot is working on migrating our wiki
to a new platform).

A few goals that I have for the Fedora Project are mostly concerned with
the University Outreach Initiative - when I sat in on most of the talks
at Flock about this, they greatly interested me and I wanted to help
spread the awesomeness of free and open-source software and the culture
it represents with other students, and to help make it a more prevalent
concept in education. I'm very interested in working with someone to
organize events not only at RIT, but possibly at other schools in the area.

On that note, I haven't been able to find any official planning area for
work being done on this Initiative, so I was also curious to where
planning or discussion is mostly happening for this initiative.

I am very happy to be a part of this awesome project and the community
that surrounds it. I'm tired of sitting around in the sidelines and I
want to have an active role with helping Fedora to the best of my
abilities. I'm looking forward to working with this group in the near
and long-term future!

Thanks for your time and patience for reading this long email.

--
Cheers,

Justin W. Flory
jflory7 at gmail.com