[Fedora-mentors-list] Requesting guidance in setting up a mentoring program for QA

Joerg Simon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 18 10:08:02 UTC 2010

Hi Adam,

Am Mittwoch, 17. März 2010 19:53:59 schrieb Adam Miller:
> Hello mentors!
>
>     My name is Adam Miller and I am a member of the Fedora QA
> community and in a meeting a couple weeks ago we discussed a new
> concept of using a FAS group to control those who will be able to
> apply karma to packages in CURRENT_RELEASE+1 critical path. The
> proposal I have drafted is located here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/JoinCriticalPathWranglers:Draft and
> the issue we've run into thus far is that we don't entirely know how
> to move forward with setting up the mentoring program. Any insight
> would be greatly appreciated!

From the Ambassadors-mentoring pov - we assign the Mentor as a imperative Step
to become involved into the Ambassadors Group - and we try to assign tasks
whenever possible. There are certain regional approaches:
the US-Mentors mostly use a Letter with generic Tasks-
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Welcome_Message_To_New_Ambassadors

in India we have a situation where we encourage to participate in one of the
various projects within Fedora before applying to become an Ambassador. We
believe that this provides the necessary skills and experience to handle the
responsibilities expected of a Fedora Ambassador.

all what you listed on
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Join
is something that also a Ambassador should able to do or at least to show new
contributors. We are always looking for different groups inside Fedora where we
have tasks to be assigned to our Mentees. Do you think it make sense to add
this as a possible Task to learn how to do real work inside the Fedora
Project? If yes, should we encourage the Ambassadors Mentors to assign more QA
Tasks to new Candidates?

cu Joerg

--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
http://kitall.blogspot.com
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688