Status report, week 5: FedMsg for Debian

Simon Chopin chopin.simon at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 16:08:42 UTC 2013

Hi,

Here is my weekly report.
Let's start by see how much I sticked to the plans:

> For next week, I plan to:
>   — Rewrite the replay mechanism as the more I think about the current
>     implementation the less I'm happy with it.

=> That's done, at least for the server side. I've spent most of my week
   on that, to finally come up with this PR[1].

>   — Deploy a fedmsg gateway that will consume all debian-produced
>     messages and resend them on a single endpoint, much like [5].

=> Also done, although not by me. Nicolas Dandrimont, my mentor, is to
   thank for that.

>   — Work out the last kinks in my packaging (I know, I say that every
>     week, but try to deal with an overcommitted sponsor ;-) )

=> I've done what I could short of bribing the ftpmaster people to make
   the packages that are already uploaded go through NEW faster. The
   fedmsg package itself is probably not in the best of shapes but it is
   functional.

>   — Maybe, deploy an instance of debmessenger somewhere.

=> Once again, Nicolas is to thank for that.

The gateway is accessible at tcp://fedmsg.olasd.eu:4001
and debmessenger alone can be listen to at tcp://fedmsg.olasd.eu:3000

Nicolas also set up an IRC bot listening to the gateway and
retransmitting everything on #debian-fedmsg on OFTC.

As a result, I've hacked up a fedmsg-meta-debian package[2] in order to
have some pretty-printing for the bot.

My plans for next week are:
  - Implement the client side of the fedmsg-replay mechanism
  - Write some tests for my SRV-documented endpoint system and get it
    merged upstream
  - Take a stab at the GPG signing stuff.Take a stab at the GPG signing
    stuff.

That's all folks!

Cheers,
Simon