gtk2 on epel won't be easy

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Fri Oct 31 13:58:14 UTC 2008

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 01:52:08PM +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> hi,
>> i try to build gtk2 (and it's requirements) for epel, but there is a big
>> problem that many packages require automake-1.10 which is on fedora but
>> not on rhel-5:-(
>> so for the moment i give it up this part of the packages.
>
> To be honest I don't really see the point in rebuilding  this using
> EPEL. Since mingw is a cross-compile, whatever distro is used for the
> host OS should not materially impact the resulting binaries. So ignoring
> the lack of automake, if you build the same version of mingw-gtk2 on
> Fedora 8, Fedora 9, Fedora 10, EPEL-5 the resulting DLL should  be the
> same.
>
> Building stuff on EPEL only makes sense if you are going to build the
> actual version of GTK from EPEL-5 for mingw. Rebuilding the Fedora 9
> version of GTK on EPEL-5 for mingw just seems like a waste of time.

or do you mean that we only need to build mingw32-binutils and
mingw32-gcc on epel and use all other noarch packages compiled on fedora
on epel too?

the problem here suppose i've got a program which run and compile on
epel and would like to rebuild on windows too. imho then the above
packages not the beast choice.