Mac OS X cross-compiler coming soon to a Fedora near you (or maybe not?)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 14:29:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 02:37:08PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 03:30:30PM +0200, Erik van Pienbroek wrote:
> > On to everybody's favorite subject (ahum..), the legal stuff.
> > First of all, I didn't do a thorough research yet about all the licenses
> > involved. For GCC and odcctools I don't see any license
> > incompatibilities which prevent it from inclusion in Fedora.
> >
> > The Mac OS X SDK seems to be a mix a various licenses. I've seen files
> > with the following licenses:
> > - Apple Public Source License version 1.0
> > - Apple Public Source License version 1.1
> > - Apple Public Source License version 2.0
> > - GPLv2+
> >
> > According to [12] and [13] the APSL 1.0 and 1.1 licenses are a no-go for
> > Fedora, so that may indicate the whole project isn't welcome in Fedora..
> > We could try to extract all the APSL 2.0 and GPLv2+ pieces from the SDK,
> > but I'm afraid it won't be enough to compile regular applications.
> >
> > Another issue we have is that the SDK contains several libraries which
> > are needed to compile regular applications. The source code for a number
> > of these libraries isn't open source so that may also be another reason
> > why the SDK isn't welcome in Fedora.

Excellent work BTW Erik.

> If licenses don't meet the Fedora requirements, there may still be the
> option of pushing it to RPM Fusion Free or Non-Free repos.

I'll agree with Dan here and say that it's worth getting this into
rpmfusion, getting the licenses clear, and then seeing what if
anything we can take into Fedora.

Also as Levente said, do we really need Apple's GCC?  IIRC gcc 4.4
could be used.

Rich.

Fedora now supports 75 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)