Mac OS X cross-compiler coming soon to a Fedora near you (or maybe not?)

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 11:43:02 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:30:19AM +0200, Erik van Pienbroek wrote:
> http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/odcctools/trunk/ChangeLog.odcctools
> Because of this I replaced the odcctools from the iphone-dev project
> (based on cctools-622.3) with the odcctools tools from Apple (based on
> cctools-698.1).

That's good - does cctools now have real 64 bit support (ie. are they
trying to make the code 64 bit clean -- previously we had to compile
the whole thing with -m32)?

> - Support for fat/universal binaries
>     This requires multiple GCC compilers which are tied together by
>     a small wrapper. This wrapper (which is called /usr/bin/gcc on
>     regular Mac OS X environments) accepts arguments like
>     '-arch i386 -arch ppc' and calls the corresponding compilers
>     and uses lipo to merge the results together

What do we lose if we just build everything for, say, i386?  PPC Macs
are a bit long in the tooth now aren't they?

>     - Can we regenerate the .dylib files which are bundled with the SDK
>       from source code (which is a requirement for Fedora) so that we
>       get something like w32api?

My thought for this one is can we rebuild these files just from a
table of the exported symbols?  (ie. nm *.dylib)

> - End user installers
>     We need something like nsiswrapper for Mac OS X environments.
>     On Mac OS X environments, all applications are bundled in one
>     directory, a so called '.app'. This directory contains some
>     standard files (containing application information, an icon, etc)
>     and of course the application itself along with it's dependencies
>     and data files. These .app folders can be packed in a .zip file
>     or a .dmg file which end-users can open directly to run/install
>     the application

Doesn't odcctools provide something to do this?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/