Mac OS X cross-compiler coming soon to a Fedora near you (or maybe not?)

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Fri Jun 19 21:13:17 UTC 2009

Op donderdag 18-06-2009 om 11:30 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Erik van
Pienbroek:
> I'm still rebuilding all the packages, but I hope to get more satisfying
> results than before.

The results really were more satisfying than before :)

With the new toolchain (based on the Mac OS X 10.5 SDK) all the strange
side effects I had were solved. For people interested, I've also pushed
binary packages of two open source projects of mine based on the Mac OS
X toolchain online at http://www.nntpgrab.nl/snapshots/osx/ and
http://www.openftd.org/snapshots/osx/ for testing.

All my recent work on the Mac OS X toolchain has been published online
at http://build2.openftd.org/darwinx/

The darwinx-sdk package has been adjusted so that the SRPM only contains
the Mac OS X 10.5 SDK archive instead of the entire XCode suite.

A yum repository containing the binary (i586/noarch) and source RPM's
has also been set up. To make use of this repository, drop the file
http://build2.openftd.org/darwinx/darwinx.repo in /etc/yum.repos.d

> There probably are more tasks remaining to be done, but these are the
> things that came to my mind while writing this status update.

And here are some more tasks which need to be done:

- Create wrapper scripts for commands like 'darwinx-env',
  'darwinx-configure' and 'darwinx-make'
    This basically is porting the mingw32-runtime package to darwinx

- Automatic RPM Requires/Provides
    The package darwinx-filesystem contains the scripts
    /usr/lib/rpm/darwinx-find-provides.sh and
    /usr/lib/rpm/darwinx-find-requires.sh. These files
    currently try to execute i686-apple-darwin9-objdump
    to find out the dependencies, but as this tool isn't
    available in odcctools this script needs to be updated.
    Dependencies information can be retrieved using
    i686-apple-darwin9-otool -L somelib.dylib

- x86_64 host support
    The odcctools currently can't be compiled on x86_64 hosts. This
    needs to be investigated

- x86_64 target support
    One of the major features of the newest Mac OS X (Snow Leopard) is
    improved support for x86_64. We need to get an x86_64 compiler
    operational which can be used to create universal/fat binaries

- Strip the SDK headers
    Because of the legal issues it might be a good idea to find out
    which include headers from the Mac OS X SDK are required to get
    GUI libraries like Gtk and QT compiled and try to find out whether
    the licenses used in those headers are open enough for Fedora.

Would it be a good idea if I created a wiki page for this list of tasks
to keep it more centralized?

Regards,

Erik van Pienbroek