Smartcard PC/SC support in MingW on Fedora

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Wed Nov 10 21:50:17 UTC 2010

Kalev Lember schreef op wo 10-11-2010 om 23:18 [+0200]:
> On 11/10/2010 10:37 PM, fkooman at tuxed.net wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to see PC/SC support in MingW so it becomes possible to
> > compile applications using card readers, for example libnfc and
> > gpshell on Fedora for Windows. What would be the steps in order to
> > achieve this?
>
> Hi,
>
> Last time I looked, the winscard.h header and winscard.dll.a stub were
> both missing from the files distributed with mingw32 project. In
> mingw64, however, there should be much more complete pcsc support.
>
> Erik was working on mingw64 support in Fedora so he will know better how
> far we are from mingw64 support at this point.

Hi,

The old mingw.org project does not bundle headers like winscard.h. The
new mingw-w64 project looks much more promising. See [1] for the
contents of this header.

It's correct that I've been working on getting mingw-w64 support in
Fedora. This was initially done by forking the current mingw32-*
packages and porting them to use the mingw-w64 toolchain. The results of
this fork can be found at [2] and the announcement about it at [3].

If all the forked packages were about to enter Fedora then the time
needed to maintain both mingw32 and mingw-w64 packages would get
doubled. If support for Mac OS X would get added in the future then it
would be even tripled. As this isn't an ideal situation I decided to
work on a generic cross compiler framework.

The goal of this framework is that maintainers only have to maintain one
package which can create binaries for win32 as well as win64 (and in the
future even Mac OS X).

The current state of this cross compiler framework is that it can create
binaries for both win32 and win64 at the moment. All mingw32-* packages
have been built successfully against this new framework. Right now I'm
trying to integrate the Mac OS X toolchain [4] in the framework so that
it can be added once the legal issues have been cleared.

My goal is to get this framework integrated in Fedora 15.

After the Mac OS X integration has been completed successfully I'll
publish more details about it to this list. For those who are interested
in testing this new framework already, see [5]. Note that when you use
the testing repository all original mingw32 packages will get obsoleted!

So more details will be coming soon!

Kind regards,

Erik van Pienbroek

[1]: