base package version and patches

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Wed Aug 10 12:09:58 UTC 2011

hi,
who and why base mingw packages updated and which patches to use?
i call base packages:
mingw32-binutils, mingw32-runtime, mingw32-w32api, mingw32-gcc
and
mingw-binutils, mingw-crt, mingw32-headers, mingw32-gcc.

the easiest thing are mingw32-runtime and mingw32-w32api. we use the
latest and that's all.

in case of mingw-crt and mingw32-headers imho it'd be good practice to
use the latest release (currently 2.0rc1 which is not build for me
currently but it's another problem).

the hardest thing is binutils and gcc.
first of all which binutils to use? imho always the latest release
(currently binutils-2.21.53.0.2), but in fedora rpms there are many
patches. should we use them too? imho yes. these packages made by many
those people who really know what patches to add. most of these patches
are linux specific but this means those are not bother windows build and
it'd be easier not to select patches just use fedora patches.

the same apply to gcc, but in case of gcc i'd be more conservative and
still using 4.5.3 until everybody upgrades. currently most other mingw
compiled project use 4.5.x and if we use 4.6.x than there can be
conflict. but i also add all fedora's gcc patches to the mingw rpm too.