gcc-4.6.x generate buggy code and other debug and build problems

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Aug 27 22:02:52 UTC 2011

Farkas Levente wrote:
> i like to build cross compiler environment for rhel-6 and the final goal
> to build gstreamer for windows on linux. after fix and port a few things
> from the fedora mingw project everything seems to build properly. the
> only problem is that gstreamer-ffmpeg always segfault:-(
> here comes the harder part to find the reason why?
> to rebuild everything it's always takes a day or night:-(
> then i reduce the problem to libav (which is behind gstreamer-ffmpeg).
> it's also always segfault (eg a ffplay on a h264 or mpeg4 file).

Since this happens with libav, which is known for containing lots of inline
assembly, my first suspicion would be invalid inline assembly. (Issues with
inline assembly often go unnoticed until some apparently unrelated change
triggers the latent problem.) But of course it could also be a compiler bug.

        Kevin Kofler