mingw-filesystem-scripts

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Wed Jul 6 11:57:30 UTC 2011

Farkas Levente schreef op za 02-07-2011 om 18:21 [+0200]:
> On 07/01/2011 06:26 PM, Erik van Pienbroek wrote:
> > Farkas Levente schreef op di 28-06-2011 om 10:56 [+0200]:
> >> hi,
> >> why there is a mingw-filesystem-scripts package and not move everything
> >> into mingw-filesystem?
> >> i don't see any rational reason for this.
> >
> > Hi Levente,
> >
> > The most important reason of the existence of this package is to avoid
> > dependency bloat. Here's the dependency tree :
> >
> >                  mingw-filesystem-scripts
> >                         |     |
> >        +----------------+     +---------------+
> >        |                                      |
> >  mingw32-filesystem                    mingw64-filesystem
> >        |                                      |
> >        +----------------+     +---------------+
> >                         |     |
> >                     mingw-filesystem
> >
> > The mingw-filesystem-scripts package contains wrapper scripts and RPM
> > macros which are generic for both the mingw32 and mingw64 targets. For
> > these wrapper scripts and RPM macros it doesn't matter whether
> > mingw32-filesystem or mingw64-filesystem is installed.
> >
> > The mingw-filesystem package used to be an empty package which just
> > contains dependencies on both mingw32-filesystem and mingw64-filesystem.
> > If one wants to install this package, both the mingw32 and the mingw64
> > pieces will be pulled in. I've just applied a change so that all RPM
> > macros which depend on both mingw32-filesystem and mingw64-filesystem
> > will be bundled with this package (this wasn't the case before).
>
> i'm still not understand.
> suppose that there is no mingw-filesystem-scripts so everything which is
> now in mingw-filesystem-scripts moved to mingw-filesystem and
> mingw-filesystem do NOT require mingw32-filesystem and mingw64-filesystem.
> and suppose i only need the mingw32 packages.
> than i've to install all mingw32 pacakges + mingw32-filesystem +
> mingw-filesystem. where is the dependency bloat?
> (while in the current situation i've to install all mingw32 pacakges +
> mingw32-filesystem + mingw-filesystem-scripts. same number of packages
> similar dependencies and imho the former is easier and cleaner.
>
> anyway i already write the spec generator script, but i've got way too
> much work plus my son this week and next week. so probably in the end of
> next week i'll send the first version.
>
> regards.

Hi Levente,

After thinking some more about this I decided to drop the
mingw-filesystem package and rename the -scripts package to -base. So
now we've got the mingw-filesystem SRPM which produces 3 binary RPMs:
mingw32-filesystem, mingw64-filesystem and mingw-filesystem-base.

Kind regards,

Erik van Pienbroek