Heads up: mingw32-gcc bumped to gcc 4.7 in rawhide

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Thu Jan 12 21:16:44 UTC 2012

Hi all,

The Fedora project has announced recently that it will use gcc 4.7 as
default version for the upcoming Fedora 17 release
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GCC47) and a mass rebuild has
just been started earlier today
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_17_Mass_Rebuild).

Because of this I took the liberty to update our mingw32-gcc package to
the same gcc 4.7 snapshot as well. I've done this to remain in sync with
the native Fedora gcc. This package is available in Fedora rawhide as of
today (just in time before the mass rebuild started).

The mingw-gcc package in the mingw-w64 testing repo has also just been
updated to gcc 4.7.

As the mass rebuild has just started it shouldn't be needed to manually
rebuild your packages. Just keep a watch out on koji mails about the
automated rebuild. If a package fails to rebuild I'd like to hear about
this so we can help resolving it.

The only package which I've found (to date) that doesn't build anymore
with gcc 4.7 is mingw32-boost. It seems to bail out because of a lack of
thread support but I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact cause yet.
The native Fedora boost package also seemed to have suffered from gcc
4.7 issues so I think it may be an upstream boost issue. Build logs can
be found at
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=3641948&name=build.log

Kind regards,

Erik van Pienbroek