remove .la files?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Jan 31 20:39:08 UTC 2012

On 01/31/2012 12:01 PM, Erik van Pienbroek wrote:
> Kalev Lember schreef op di 31-01-2012 om 19:44 [+0200]:
>> We've been talking about this for quite some time, and now I'd like to
>> propose that we remove the .la files from most mingw packages.
>
> Hey Kalev,
>
> Excellent story you've written here!
> I think that pkg-config's Libs.private feature has become a much more
> suitable solution to the problems illustrated and should also work fine
> among different build systems (non-autotools-based). Hence I'm +1 for
> removing all .la files from all mingw packages.

I would suggest raising the question on the upstream libtool list, to
see if the libtool maintainers have any better insight into the
tradeoffs involved if you were to delete the .la files, or if there is a
bug in libtool that should be fixed instead to make the .la files still
useful to libtool but less painful to the distribution.