Heads up: mingw-gcc 4.8 is now in rawhide

Erik van Pienbroek erik at vanpienbroek.nl
Sun Jan 27 17:24:57 UTC 2013

Hi,

The package mingw-gcc in rawhide has just been updated to gcc 4.8. All
packages which are built from now on in rawhide will be built using gcc
4.8. Earlier test mass rebuilds have shown only two remaining failing
builds, mingw-qpid-cpp and wine-mono (where wine-mono failed because of
an automake compatibility issue which is not gcc 4.8 related). All other
mingw packages should rebuild fine without issues against gcc 4.8.

Today I'm going to rebuild all mingw packages which depend on
mingw64(libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll). This is needed as gcc 4.8 now uses SEH
exceptions by default for the win64 target instead of SjLj exceptions.
This rebuild is needed now to avoid broken dependencies. All packages
which used to depend on mingw64(libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll) will now start to
depend on mingw64(libgcc_s_seh-1.dll) instead.

In a couple of days (around February 1) the Fedora mass rebuild will
start. All remaining mingw packages will then be automatically rebuilt
by this mass rebuild, so there's no need for package maintainers to
manually rebuild packages.

For marketing goals I've also created a feature page for this update:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MinGW_GCC_4.8

Regards,

Erik van Pienbroek