Packaging best practices: binary tools in mingw packages

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Fri May 10 17:26:58 UTC 2013

On 05/10/2013 10:03 AM, Erik van Pienbroek wrote:
> In my opinion I would always place executables from group 1 in the main
> package (mingw32-foo/mingw64-foo). Generally I would also place
> executables from group 2 in the main package.

I agree.

> Native executables (group 3) must always be bundled in a separate
> package because they are arch-specific (while packages containing mingw
> binaries are noarch).
>
> I'm not sure what to do with executables from group 4..

Group 4 should also go into the main package.

The use of sub-packages with MinGW packages is different than native
packages. With MinGW we are providing a development environment only
(think -devel). The use of sub-packages should be limited to restrict
dependency chains.

It could be argued that the current "mingw-qt-tools" package should
merge with the main one. It is the only package that has a "-tools"
sub-package.

Michael