Cross toolchain packages

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Mon Aug 2 07:39:42 UTC 2010

Hi -

Fedora MIPS doesn't seem to have cross toolchain packages like the
Fedora Arm support has (thanks to Lennert Buytenhek's work).  It's a bit
old though since it was done as a one-off a couple of years ago on gcc
4.1 basis.

That's a shame because although Fedora mainly has a native build
approach, in fact for bootloaders and kernel a cross toolchain is very
useful.

I spent some time uplevelling the cross packages in Fedora ARM over the
weekend and was able to get them working for ARM kernel-building duties
with rawhide 4.5 gcc version.

Now I would like to see how difficult it would be to retarget those
packages to be compatible with Fedora MIPS stuff.

Attempting to recook binutils-2.20.51.0.7-5.fc14.src.rpm for
mipsel-softfloat-linu-gnueabi, which works OK with armv5tel, creates an
ld that fails its self-tests on MIPS ELF stuff.

FAIL: ld-elf/orphan-region
FAIL: MIPS rel32 n32
FAIL: MIPS rel64 n64
FAIL: MIPS textrel-1

		=== ld Summary ===

# of expected passes		356
# of unexpected failures	4
# of expected failures		6
# of untested testcases		22
# of unsupported tests		1
/projects/mips/cross/binutils/rpmbuild/BUILD/binutils-2.20.51.0.7/ld/ld-new
20100318

make[5]: *** [check-DEJAGNU] Error 1

What is the toolchain basis for the MIPS packages that have been created
so far, and the triplet used?

-Andy