kernel for mips32 ?

Sergio Monteiro Basto sergio at sergiomb.no-ip.org
Sun Aug 15 15:01:49 UTC 2010

Hi,
On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 12:49 +0800, Xin Zhen wrote:
> Hi Sergio,
>
> 在 2010-08-15日的 02:10 +0100,Sergio Monteiro Basto写道:
> > Hi, List
> >
> > I see that we have kernel for mips malta , but I'd like build a kernel
> > for mips 32
> >
> > # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > system type : Realtek Venus
> > processor : 0
> > cpu model : MIPS 4KEc V6.4
>
> 4KEc is a common core found in various SoCs. According to
> http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Realtek_SOC , Realtek has some MIPS based
> chips that supported by linux-mips.

more info of "my player" http://rtd1261.wikidot.com/ is a rtd1261. Is
running a kernel 2.6.12-VENUS which a kernel modified by Realteak it
self, I think.
Some of support for realtek wireless has been add to main kernel much
more later, so I have a little hope , with a newer kernel I can have
support for "my player". rtd1261 also have busybox as OS.
So seems, at this point, is not so hard put there a new kernel :) .

> > I am studying (as hobby) put a newer kernel on a multimedia player
> >
> > http://minimodding.com/tiki-index.php?page=InstalBB116Snap#comments
> >
> > So can we build a kernel for a mispel ?
>
> A linux-mips kernel can be downloaded by
> http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Getting_the_kernel . The latest release
> is 2.6.35.
>

> > I have others questions like why a kernel 2.6.26 ? and not newer ?
> > Basically because some hardware support may need kernels newer.
>
> The latest kernel RPM of Fedora-MIPS is
> kernel-vanilla-2.6.35-85.fc13.mips64el.rpm that can be downloaded from
> http://lazyfai.dyndns.org/Fedora-13-RPMS-MIPS/Packages/ . However,
> whatever version it is, it is not for your player. Currently Fedora-MIPS
> kernel can boot only on Loongson2F-based nettops and netbooks.

yes, I know is not for my player ,

> Find and build a suitable kernel for your player from linux-mips.org,
> not from Fedora-MIPS. And, the user space packages are compiled against
> mips3 and abi=n32. I don't know if they can be run on 4KEc. Maybe you
> can have a try ;)

but kernel-vanilla-2.6.35-85.fc13.src.rpm , can't be compile to mipsel
arch ?
What I need ?
With buildroot , I can build many apps (on fedora13) that work in the
box, but boot a new kernel, I still have some doubts.

Thanks,
--
Sérgio M. B.