[Fedora-music-list] Getting started?

Ant ant at symons.net.au
Thu May 3 10:07:33 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 09:50 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 16:39 +0200, Frode Petersen wrote:
> > Ant skrev:
> > > Ive been on this list for a while, and have noted that its been somewhat
> > > quiet. So i've just googled Ardour seeing it mentioned and it looks
> > > great! Ive kept googling, and there seems to be a hole where FC6 is.
> > > Like many probably I currently run FC6, and according to most references
> > > up to FC5 is supported, although there is a couple of mentions of FC7.
> > >
> > > Do the packages exist for FC6, and if so, where? Can anyone recommend a
> > > couple of good apps to take a look at?
> > >

> > Try this repository:
> >
> > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetccrma/6/x86_64/
> > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetccrma/6/i386/
> >
> > The link to the hompage:
> > http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
>
> Docs out of date, see:
> http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrmanews/2006-November/000047.html
>
> Basically install "planetccrma-core" and you will get a realtime kernel,
> irq ordering script, pam with realtime access enabled by default, etc,
> etc (if you need/want low latency you need all that). Then
> "planetccrma-apps" will get you most of the applications from both
> Extras and Planet CCRMA[*].
>
> -- Fernando
>
> [*] and "planetccrma-menus" will add a nice hierarchical menu with
> sound/music apps nicely categorized, at least the ones coming from
> Planet CCRMA.

Wow thanks heaps for that, heaps to play with!

I just did:

rpm -ivh
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetccrma/6/i386/planetccrma-repo-1.0-3.fc6.ccrma.noarch.rpm

followed by:

yum install planetccrma-core planetccrma-apps planetccrma-menus

resulting in:

Transaction Summary
Install    270 Package(s)
Update       3 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

Exactly what I needed to know! :)

... 10 mins later...

Bugger:

Transaction Check Error:
  file /usr/share/locale/de_DE/LC_MESSAGES/gtk_ardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6
  file /usr/share/locale/el_GR/LC_MESSAGES/gtk_ardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6
  file /usr/share/locale/el_GR/LC_MESSAGES/libardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6
  file /usr/share/locale/es_ES/LC_MESSAGES/gtk_ardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6
  file /usr/share/locale/fr_FR/LC_MESSAGES/gtk_ardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6
  file /usr/share/locale/it_IT/LC_MESSAGES/gtk_ardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6
  file /usr/share/locale/it_IT/LC_MESSAGES/libardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6
  file /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/gtk_ardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6
  file /usr/share/locale/pt_PT/LC_MESSAGES/gtk_ardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6
  file /usr/share/locale/ru_RU/LC_MESSAGES/gtk_ardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6
  file /usr/share/locale/ru_RU/LC_MESSAGES/libardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6
  file /usr/share/locale/sv_SE/LC_MESSAGES/gtk_ardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6
  file /usr/share/locale/sv_SE/LC_MESSAGES/libardour.mo conflicts
between attempted installs of ardour2-2.0-1.fc6.ccrma and
ardour-0.99.3-8.fc6

But thats what the current thread is about, having both versions? I also
fear my video drivers will break with the rt kernel since I use the
nvidia binary packages from livna. I can fix this by hand with nvidias
installer, but I guess thats the problem with closed source stuff and
mixing and matching from different repos.

Thanks for the help, the door is open!

Ant