[Fedora-music-list] Looking to get involved

adam at linkedlistcorruption.com adam at linkedlistcorruption.com
Wed Apr 27 22:29:28 UTC 2011

The single biggest thing that Fedora needs is a realtime kernel in the base repo. All the music packages in the world wont matter if running JACK at lowest latency requires building your own kernel. When I use Fedora for audio that's what I have to do - build my own kernel from upstream source.

Building the real time kernel is the easy part. Navigating the Fedora project's labyrinthine structure and packaging requirements are the hard part.

If you know anything about RPM packaging and/or getting packages into Fedora I would highly encourage you to look into this. Fedora has plenty of nice packages, but it has no kernel capable of running them at ultra low latency. I will do anything I can to help you. Without an easy to install realtime kernel built from upstream (not a patched version of the Fedora kernel) I can't recommend Fedora to people for audio work. If Fedora did have a realtime kernel in the base repos it would make it one of the most attractive distros for audio work.