[Fedora-music-list] Action items for the Audio spin

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 16:07:00 UTC 2012

Hi all,

there's been talk of a road map for the Audio spin and I'd just like to
jot down some suggestions for what we might like to achieve.

  - installation media requirements. I'm proposing a smaller Live CD
(lite) and a full blown DVD installer.
  - default Desktop for both installations. I would like something with
a really small size/footprint for the Live CD. Perhaps we can try LXDE
for the smaller and KDE for the DVD?
  - default set of packages for both
  - revisit multimedia-menus package and determine which packages need
additional Categories in the desktop file
  - how best to package the Musicians guide
  - how to achieve optimal RT performance from the stock kernel (adding
threadirqs to the kernel command, assigning jackuser/pulse-rt group
membership)
  - default pulse/jack setup with pulse->jack bridging 'out-of-the-box'
  - determine what packages from CCRMA and RPMFusion are must haves in
the Fedora repos and can be rebuilt to comply with Fedora licensing.
  - desktop style and icons on install- darker themes are an obvious
choice for audio (often poor lighting etc) but can be a pain for normal
use. There are ways around this (Arch linux has some good tips for
achieving this - perhaps we just need to document it somewhere)
  - and of course updating the Wikis

Most of this stuff is pretty trivial (but possibly time consuming).
Achieving the perfect setup out of the box w.r.t. RT performance, jack
and pulseaudio is going to require a lot more thought and possible
*real* development. As I've said before KXStudio has tried to solve this
problem with its cadence app (still pre-alpha). It makes a few
assumptions about applications (presence of ladish for example) which
may not necessarily apply here, but we can certainly learn a lot from
their work.

I'm thinking that some of this could be assigned to the successful GSoC
candidate.

As I said I'm really just listing these as suggestions - and to try and
promote some more discussion (please!). I'd like to document this
somewhere on the wiki as well. Please let me know if I've missed
anything or if you have strong objections to what I've suggested.

I'd also like to round up all interested parties for an IRC meeting for
a round table of sorts (and to determine who is actually committed to
making this work).

regards,

Brendan