[Fedora-music-list] Spin Approval

Jørn Lomax northlomax at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:41:27 UTC 2012

On 12/05/2012 06:35 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM, Brendan Jones
> <brendan.jones.it at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think you've convinced me that we shouldn't waste too much time trying to
>> cull it. The only advantage I can see is build time, and then that is only
>> the first time as the rest should be in your local cache.
>>
>> There are some KDE packages which may be considered to get in the way of
>> audio, akonadi and nepomuk for example. We really don't like processes
>> turning up in the middle of a session, but I've been trying to keep it
>> simple and have left them in.
>
> Nepomuk can be disabled, but I don't have a problem with removing it.
> I think Akonadi can be disabled as well but I haven't tried it.
>

>> On the other hand I'm still open to add more packages! Some people mentioned
>> Latex and inkscape - certainly worth consideration. Be interested to hear
>> what other people might think.
>
> LaTeX / TeXLive is *humongous*! A "moderate" installation is at least
> 300 MB and the whole boat comes to about 3 GB. Inkscape (and Scribus
> and GIMP and a video editor and sometimes Blender) are usually found
> on "multimedia" distros, so I'd like to see them. And of course CSound
> needs to be on an *audio* distro.

I agree. I don't think we *need* LaTex. What propose would it serve in
the spin. We already have lilypad for engraving. Inkskape and gimp i
would like to see still be on the spin, but i won't cry if we remove them

>> I would probably yell at you if we dropped firefox and thunderbird :)
>> Chromium is still a contentious issue and we all have to rely on Tom's repos
>> for the moment
>
> Yeah, if Konqueror wasn't integrated into KDE like IE is in Windows
> I'd say pull Konqueror. I built a machine from the Fedora KDE Live CD
> a while ago only to discover that Firefox and LibreOffice weren't
> there - Konqueror and Calligra had taken their place.
> I don't use an email client any more. I'm not paranoid about Google
> reading my mail just yet.
Jupp. Never liked Konqueror, never will. I'm a chrome man myself, but i
feel firefox should be the default browser. Although I'm not afraid of
google reading my emails (they probably do), I like to have a good email
client to help get all my different email account come to one spot
instead of opening 3-4 tabs to check all of them.

What is the default email client in KDE?