[Fedora-music-list] Audio spin media

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Fri May 25 01:25:25 UTC 2012

Jorn's posts this week have got me thinking about what we should be
aiming for in terms of install media. As others have noted before a CD
sized spin is kind of outdated, and I wondered whether we were in fact
bound by this. So I raised it with releng on IRC and we are not.

In light of this I propose that we abandon the idea of a 'lite' spin
complemented by a larger DVD version, and just focus on one Live image.

It would be nice if its under 1G but that again should not be a boundary
that we need adhere to?

Raising here for comment.

For the sake of argument, lets say size doesn't matter, what then should
we use as the default desktop environment? To me its a choice between Qt
v. GTK environments - personally I'm yet to find a gnome 3 workflow that
works for me, however others may have different opinions.

XFCE or KDE I think gives us a little more freedom in how we govern the
whole look and feel of the spin (and packaging something like a
customized fedora-audio-panel for example), but that's not to say we
can't write a gnome extension to do the same.

And while I'm at it, what are we going to call this thing? Fedora
(Audio) studio / Fedora Audio / Free Audio (I'm reaching now)

Brendan