[Fedora-music-list] Audio spin media

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Fri May 25 16:05:09 UTC 2012

On 05/25/2012 02:02 PM, Brendan Jones wrote:
> On 05/25/2012 12:37 PM, Jørn Lomax wrote:
>>> Thinking is dangerous. That's why we do it!

>>> This is a serious issue, and it's related to "who will be using the
>>> spin?" Actually, it's "who wants to use the spin?" and the related
>>> question of whether we're okay with disallowing some of them.
>>>
>>> And here's the potentially offensive part...
>>>
>>> If we're just going to be stodgy old white men with lots of resources,
>>> then we can forget about a media requirement at all, because everybody
>>> has a 16GB USB drive and high-speed cable Internet nowadays, so why do
>>> we still make CDs?
>>>
>>> Of course I'm exaggerating--nobody said it, or was even implying it
>>> (even Brendan's more-than-CD spin was suggested at 1GB, which is
>>> modest compared to the 3.5GiB of Mageia I downloaded yesterday). So
>>> the reality of this is that we have the power and we can do whatever
>>> we want. Because we're The Fedora Project, we have a responsibility to
>>> ensure accessibility for as wide an audience as possible.
>>>
>>> But let's take this further. We don't just want to ensure everybody
>>> has access to our spin, we want to ensure everybody has an equally
>>> rich, first-class experience. Especially if we call the CD version
>>> "Lite," it's not going to give that impression, whatever the actual
>>> experience would be.
>>>
>>> So... let's have only one version, make it as small as possible, and
>>> certainly ensure it fits on one CD! This obviously means we won't have
>>> many applications installed by default, but I don't see that as a
>>> problem for two reasons:
>>> 1.) the applications aren't the reason for the Spin, it's the
>>> integration.
>>> 2.) I don't know about you, but I don't use everything we've been
>>> thinking of putting on the spin, so why should everybody have to
>>> download everything?
>>>
>>> It's always a question of compromise and balance.

>>> In this case, and because of what I said previously, we might be best
>>> off choosing a GUI toolkit first (Qt, like most of the audio
>>> applications) and the smallest desktop environment next (Qt Razor or
>>> Razor Qt).
>>>
>>> Again, it's about access for everybody. Sure thing my computer can run
>>> GNOME 3 and KDE-based applications at the same time while still making
>>> good-quality recordings, but not everybody has my computer.

>>> Let's call it "The Spin." It sounds misguidedly epic.
>>>

>>> Christopher.
>>
>> I have to say i agree with Brendon. I don't think there is anything
>> wrong by not making the spin fit onto a CD. If you have a computer that
>> is capable of running realtime audio processing, chances are that you
>> have a DVD drive. I actually find it hard to even find blank CDs in the
>> store, so I always en up using a DVD as media (more often usb now).
>>
>> But what i think is the best solution is to first create a spin that is
>> focused on the user experience. Make sure it's simple, intuitive, is
> [...]

Further to this, I found this: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Razor-qt_Spin

I remember trying to contact the poster of this a while ago but haven't
got a response yet so maybe its dead in the water. It can't hurt to try
and contact them and see if they have a timeframe to get the razor-qt
packages reviewed and approved