[Fedora-music-list] fedora jam spec/theming

Jørn Lomax northlomax at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 10:02:59 UTC 2012

On 19/10/2012 02:06, Ian Malone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was puzzling for a while over some things on the live CD that were
> puzzling me about theming and KDE menu options and have finally taken
> the time to look into it. Writing it up here while I remember.
>
> Symptoms (all on the live cd, installed may be slightly different in places):
> 1. liveuser starts with blank wallpaper.
> 2. favourites menu is the KDE spin normal one, despite some %post code
> in the spin kickstart.
> Not so much a symptom as just not covered yet:
> 3. wrong splash
>
> The blank wallpaper is actually quite simple, though it took a while
> to figure out (mainly because KDE doesn't swap wallpaper immediately
> on swapping themes): the oxygen theme specifies Ariya wallpaper, but
> this is in kde-wallpapers, which is not installed. Since we want to
> use a fedora-jam wallpaper the solution is of course to use the
> fedora-jam theme instead.
> In this commit:
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/music-creation.git/commit/?id=2d6cba1b396d7867b6252a50ee36bb22dc212ac8
> The theme is set in /etc/skel/.kde/share/config/plasmarc, an
> alternative way of doing this would be to put the plasmarc in
> /etc/kde. The first is copied to a new users home, the second acts to
> set a system-wide default. Not sure which is preferable.
> In the theme itself
> http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/music-creation.git/tree/fedora-jam-kde-theme/src/desktoptheme/Fedora_Jam/metadata.desktop
> the FallbackTheme is set to default (or air-netbook for the netbook).
> This could be changed to oxygen to use the darker theme as a basis
> while still setting the wallpaper.  (Aside: line 202 in the kickstart
> needs to escape the $Version string when creating plasmarc.)
> Assuming you've got the theme installed, etc/kde/plasmarc:
> [$Version]
> update_info=plasma_popupapplet_fix_groups.upd:PlasmaPopupAppletFixGroups2
> [Theme]
> name=Fedora_Jam
> [Theme-plasma-netbook]
> name=Fedora_Jam-netbook
>

> Favourites menu, two things conflict. The Jam kickstart writes
> .kde/share/config/kickoffrc into the liveuser home directory and
> /etc/skel, but the fedora-live-kde-base.ks that's called as a basis
> writes a /etc/rc.d/init.d/livesys that will overwrite that file later.
> The Jam kickstart needs to modify that file to prevent the
> FavoriteURLs field being replaced. A sed
> -res'#^FavoriteURLs=.*#FavoriteURLs=NEWURLSGOHEREXXXX#' would fix
> that. Again the kickoffrc for users other than 'liveuser' could go
> into /etc/skel/.kde/share/config or /etc/kde. (Aside #2: on F16
> mozilla-firefox.desktop is the name for the Firefox shortcut, on F18
> it's firefox.desktop, so correct in the spin, but it had me puzzled
> for a while when building on F16 to test.)
>

> splash, again the model ksplash file can go in /etc/skel or /etc/kde.
> [...]

I'll make sure this gets fixed on the kickstart file! thanks for working
it out, I suck at that kind of stuff

I haven't done any major updates to the kickstart file in a while. I
have been hoping for some feedback on the whole "add user to additional
groups" before I edited it again so I could save some time (school is
kicking my arse at the moment), but there has been no movement on the
spins wrangling front, so I might just have to get everything else ready
and then fix the group thing at a later date.

--
Jørn Lomax
Nestleder Studentutvalget NT-Fak