[Fedora-music-list] Fedora Jam tracking well

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 12:56:27 UTC 2013

On 07/12/2013 10:01 PM, Christopher Antila wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> On 07/12/2013 09:33 AM, Brendan Jones wrote:
>> Currently number 5 out of 11 for torrent downloads! Not bad for the new
>> kid.
>
> Not bad at all! Fedora 19 is an awesome release... I upgraded via yum
> from F17 (since F18 didn't really go over very well). For me, this seems
> like the least quirky and most reliable release since F13.
>
>> Its very quiet on this list at the moment, so tell us what you've been
>> doing with music! Fedora / Linux / recording etc etc
>
> It's always quiet on the list. Good idea to start up discussion about,
> you know, music!
>
>> Me, I've been trying to organize my many samples into sfz format for
>> use. Also found new interest in guitar (my new schecter rocks!)
>
> Samples of what?

Mainly paid-for drumkit libraries and other free sample packs that don't
come with sfz format already.

>> I'm no drummer, but have been studying drumming a lot lately to fill out
>> some triggered recordings. Would love to hear other peoples experience
>> in this area.
>
> How are you "studying?" Are you taking lessons?

Not seriously - no lessons. Been mainly opening guitar pro files with
tuxguitar and getting ideas from the drum tracks therein.

> ----
>
> My current musical projects:
>
> 1.) Two "major research papers" toward the completion of my MA... almost
> done!
Nice! May be over my head, but where can we read them?

> 2.) Rewriting---yet again---a music analysis program that's part of a
> relatively large research project at McGill/Yale/MIT/Aberdeen/BBC. I'll
> write more about this in the (sort of) near future.
Interesting! Please do

> 3.) Overhauling my website. I've decided it's not helping anybody that
> my work isn't available anywhere, and although I wouldn't say that any
> of my work is particularly valuable, it might be just the thing somebody
> else is looking for.
>
> 4.) Making an SFZ file for the University of Iowa B-flat clarinet
> samples, which I'll use along with the "Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra"
> samples (for other instruments) in the next project.

I'm really interested to hear what people are doing with sfz format. On
my journey I've developed a gedit plugin for a linuxsampler client
(similar to the sc one), when I stop tinkering I will release it for
general consumption.

> 5.) Synthesizing the start of the second movement of Brahms' third
> symphony with Qtractor (and others), just to see how well it sounds with
> FOSS software. With Vienna Symphonic Orchestra samples, frankly, it just
> doesn't sound real.
>
> 6.) "Recomposing" that same symphony, based on contrapuntal analysis
> results from the software in point (2) above, using SuperCollider.
>
> 7.) Learning Bach's BWV 857 prelude and fugue (F minor, Book 1 of
> Well-Tempered Clavier), to prove that I can. Considering I don't even
> really play piano, this was a bad idea, but now that I'm almost
> finished, I can't give up.
>
> That's it. Keep sharing, everybody! Do you have recordings of what
> you're doing or have already done?

Wow, you are busy! What an interesting life you have with music. Very
jealous