[Fedora-music-list] Compatible USB Audio Interface

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 07:43:25 UTC 2013

On 07/25/2013 01:26 AM, profiles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a musician and recently joined this mailing list. I use Fedora18
> and would like to use it to create music. I am having trouble getting
> off the ground as I have not identified a USB Audio Interface that is
> compatible with Fedora. I have visited the ALSA soundcard matrix wiki
> and a number of forums in hopes of finding a device. Unfortunately many
> of the models and makes talked about are a few years old now and,
> frequently, are no longer available from distributors. I imagine a few
> people on this list use some sort of soundcard to test/use all of the
> great software that is being created for linux users.
>
> I am inviting suggestions from people with experience in the application
> of audio hardware in the fedora environment. I am looking for a device
> that uses an independent power plug, connects with usb 2.0, and has both
> MIDI and analogue inputs and outputs. A device similar to this would be
> great:
>
> http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-44VSL/media

As long as it is a class 2 compliant USB audio device you should have no
issues (that's USB 1.1)

There are reports of a similar device working well here:

http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7543

My Roland/Edirol UA25EX works fine here, although in advanced mode it is
not strictly a USB 1.1 device. I suggest the best place to look is the
ALSA device matrix [1] for compatibility and post an email on
linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org just to make sure - that's your
best bet.

Please , let us know how you get on

[1] http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main