[Fedora-music-list] Fwd: [Fedora-spins] Proposal: Spins process amendment for Fedora 20 cycle

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 18:49:36 UTC 2013

On Jul 5, 2013 10:03 AM, "Kevin Fenzi" <kevin at scrye.com
<mailto:kevin at scrye.com>> wrote:

  > Greetings.
  >
  > I'd like to propose some changes to the spins process for F20.
  > I'm sending this just to the spins and test lists first, to try and hash
  > out things, then we can move on to running it the devel list once we
  > have more concrete plans.
  >
  > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/20/Spins shall be the cannonical
  > list of approved spins by the sig.
  >
  > A Milestone is one of Alpha, Beta, Final.
  >
  > A basic spin test will be created (Or perhaps we can re-use the Basic
  > desktop test, or whatever QA folks would prefer). This basic spin test
  > will test:
  >
  > At Alpha:
  >
  > * The image composes.
  > * The image boots with any method
  > * The liveuser user can login
  > * The user can apply updates
  >
  > At Beta:
  >
  > * All Alpha tests, and
  > * The image meets it's size goal
  > * The image boots with all supported live media boot methods.
  >
  > At Final:
  >
  > * All Beta test and
  > * No selinux denials on boot/login
  >
  > At the Alpha milestone, all approved spins will be created by rel-eng.
  >
  > Each approved spin MUST have at least 2 people fill in the Basic spin
  > test matrix for at least 1 TC or RC. If the image fails, maintainers
  > can try again at the next milestone, but the image is NOT shipped for
  > that milestone. if an image doesn't get 2 people filling in Basic spin
  > tests, the image is dropped for that cycle and IS NOT SHIPPED FOR THAT
  > RELEASE! Such images can be reapproved by the spins sig for the next
  > cycle.
  >
  > At the Beta milestone, only those images that got testing in the Alpha
  > milestone will be produced.
  >
  > At the Final milestone, only those images that were tested at the Beta
  > release will be produced.
  >
  > The http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/20/Spins page will be
  > enhanced with a 'Alpha/Beta/Final' field, where we can note what spins
  > are in what state.
  >
  > Questions/Feedback needed on:
  >
  > - Is 2 people too many? Should it just be 1? or More?
  >
  > - Are there other Basic tests we should require?
  >
  > - Is there a better way to track things than that wiki page?
  >
  > - Is there a good way to make sure all spins maintainers are aware of
  >   these changes and are not surprised by them?
  >
  > Anything else?
  >
  > kevin
Apologies in advance for cross-posting. I think Kevin's proposal is
reasonable, I'm pretty sure we can manage 2 people to test the Jam ISOs
at Alpha/Beta and Final. If you have any feedback I'd recommend replying
on the spins list rather than here, so the other Spins SIGs can hear
your thoughts.

Brendan