[Fedora-music-list] Jam spin F20 alpha test

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Tue Sep 17 23:45:31 UTC 2013

Quoting Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com>:

> On 12 September 2013 18:22, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb at znmeb.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm going to be alpha testing F20 (desktop) as soon as it comes out. I've
>> got two laptops and a workstation now and the older laptop is a
>> crash-and-burn machine. Should I switch to the Jam test-compose? As long as
>> R also works I can get everything working.
>>
>> BTW, I'm getting back to playing with Pd (from Planet CCRMA at the moment,
>> although I plan to switch to building it from source).
>
> Is Pd = puredata? I mentioned a while back I'd been thinking of trying
> to use a usb gamepad as a midi source, didn't mean poking hardware,
> but finding some way of linking up the joystick drivers to the midi
> interface, it looked like puredata might be one way to do that, but
> haven't got around to trying yet.

Yes, pd-* is Pure Data. I just got a Beta book from Pragmatic on Pd -
http://pragprog.com/book/thsound/programming-sound-with-pure-data.

In other news, I probably posted this already, but I have my HP
Pavilion dv4 on Fedora 20, installed from the Jam 20130914 nightly
64-bit ISO. It seems to be rock-solid, at least on a wired network.
I'm currently learning both Pure Data and ChucK. I've got them both
installed on my Fedora 19 laptop from Planet CCRMA, but I know ChucK
builds from source on both 19 and 20. I haven't tried a source build
of Pure Data yet on either; it looks a bit hairy compared to ChucK.

> --
> imalone
> http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism on a Stick
http://znmeb.github.io/CompJournoStick/

Pondering the pandemonium of pontificating pantheism to ponderous
pandas since 1994