[Fedora-music-list] Fedora 21 and beyond

Martin Tarenskeen m.tarenskeen at zonnet.nl
Sat Jan 18 15:15:23 UTC 2014

> On 2014-01-18 05:21, Brendan Jones wrote:

>>  I'm starting to think that there is little point having a spin at all.
>>  My original idea was that having the spin would encourage more users
>>  to use Fedora and as a result create some kind of community (and
>>  hopefully attract more upstream developers).
>>
>>  This hasn't happened. I'm too busy to blog, promote, berate the
>>  goodness of the Jam etc. Maybe someone else is. Maybe we are not
>>  promoting ourselves enough? I don't know. Maybe we are being lazy.

I am a Fedora user, and I use Fedora to make music. But for me personally
the Fedora Jam spin is not my choice. On my main computer I use the
standard Fedora desktop distribution with Gnome3, on my EeePC netbook I
use a lightweight LXDE spin. Then on top of these I install all the music
related packages that I need from the official Fedora, RPMFusion and
PlanetCCRMA repositories, including the kernel-rt package.

Why would I use Fedora Jam? I don't even like KDE.

The good thing is that, from the moment people started to think about a
special Musicians Spin several interesting packages, requested by members
of this mailinglist, have been added to the official Fedora repositories.

What I would like to see is that I could do something like:

# sudo yum groupinstall "Fedora Jam"

to install a nice selection of must-have music production software,
like what is now in the Fedora Jam spin, after installing the Fedora
version of my choice.

Well, I know, it's really easy for me to write down wishes and feature
requests. The real heroes are people like Brendan and others who have done
so much of the hard work.

--

MT