[Fedora-music-list] Low Latency vs. Real Time Kernel - actual latencies ?

Brian Monroe briancmonroe at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 16:01:19 UTC 2014

On Thu Nov 13 2014 at 12:28:27 PM Jeff Sandys <jpsandys at gmail.com> wrote:

> Real Time Kernels are available from PlanetCCRMA:
>
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetcore/20/x86_64/repoview/kernel-rt.html
>
> There are concerns about the implementation of Real Time Kernel as
> expressed in the Musician's Guide:
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/Musicians_Guide/sect-Musicians_Guide-CCRMA_Security_and_Stability.html
>
> I am not a systems programmer so I can't speak to these concerns.  Some of
> the names of the real time kernel developers listed on the PlanetCCRMA
> kernel-rt page are Red Hat employees.
>
> I would like to see Fedora be the premier linux distribution for music.
> But until we can overcome the concerns listed in the Musician's Guide we
> will probably not have a real time kernel in the Fedora repositories.
> Maybe a Fedora "Re-Mix", or Fedora.Next and Workstation with the works with
> Fedora software library may break the ice.
> -- Jeff

Well, I think those concerns are why Ubuntu moved to their low-latency
kernel instead of their kernel-rt. According to their documentation (wiki)
the lowlatency kernel is a "soft" preempt kernel and the rt kernel is
"hard' but there's no docs on what make them different, and people in
channel don't seem to know.

Following their lead may resolve some of those concerns, and also may
indicate the time to move away from KDE for potential stability reasons.