FAWN

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Apr 16 06:20:47 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:30:46PM -0400, Kamisamanou Burgess wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am nearing the end of the spring semester at school and I am beginning to
> notice that I need much more time to study. As a result, I am going to have
> to suspend FAWN until the second Thursday in May. This was not an easy
> decision, but I am spending 2-3 hours a week getting this podcast recorded,
> edited, and uploaded. I anticipate being back in full force this May with
> what should be an even more polished FAWN, a perfect complement to the debut
> of Fedora 13. I do thank you for allowing me to do what I've done thus far,
> and would be very grateful in being able to continue after the semester is
> over.

Thank you much for what you've been doing.  There is something in your
story that is familiar and recursive, so a perfect story for a
UNIX/Linux environment. :)  Then I have a suggestion to consider when
you are back working on FAWN again.

Originally and for a long while, Fedora Weekly News was many things
done by a handful of people on a stand-alone server separated from
Fedora infrastructure.  As those people's lives changed and they moved
on to other things, Thomas Chung stayed with producing FWN.  He had an
insight, a brilliant move, and saw that by bringing FWN in to Fedora
as a sub-project he could create room for *capacity*.  The modern FWN
system with beats was born from that.

Creating capacity is something Fedora does best, or at least tries to
;-), and especially for contributors.  It worked for Thomas, allowing
him to share the load initially, and later to let his brainchild out
of the nest to be a living, breathing part of Fedora.

All of this to say, wouldn't it be interesting to do FAWN with
multiple audio contributors?  I'm thinking of something that is a bit
like a radio news cast.

"And now, with the Fedora Marketing report, Karsten Wade."

"Thanks Kami.  The Marketing Beat is written by Neville A. Cross.
Blah blah blah ..."

Of course, what really happens is this:  FWN comes out, I open
Audacity and read out the Marketing beat, starting with an opening
reply back to you.  (We can even arrange call/response or jokes so I
just give the response as I start.)

This doesn't really save much time at the start of doing it this way.
You save in reading time but give up in editing time.  But it creates
something that others can contribute to and help keep afloast so it's
not all on your shoulders.

Just a thought.  Not that I secretly harbor a desire to be a
broadcaster or anything, oh no ...

One final note -- I reckon we would need some auditions and criteria
for readers.  Ideally most are trainable, but most won't come trained.

- Karsten