ANNOUNCE: F11 for the XO-1 build 140py released

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Apr 15 19:50:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 17:54 -0500, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> I usually bring the system up with messages being displayed (NOT in
> pretty-boot).  Several times now, the system has "paused/hung" at about
> the time it should be running through /etc/rc.d/rc0.d (or suchlike).
> [Note:  the camera LED is on.]  After SEVERAL MINUTES nothing more has
> happened - so I just reboot.  [I can not bring up a text console, so I
> can't take a dump.]  The hang is random - so the next boot usually works.
>
> As far as I am concerned, if the machines in the field also encounter
> this hang -- it is a blocker to the release of build 140py.

I have observed this problem a couple of times, although only after
reflashing the OS. The machine would hang after displaying the frame of
the boot animation with just one dot.

In my case, a simple reboot would not cure the problem. Pulling the
battery did the job. Therefore, I suspect it may be caused by upgrading
the EC code, which wouldn't be a big concern since we have found an easy
workaround.

Let me know if you see it again on laptops that are already running the
latest open firmware code. Please, take note of how you triggered it and
how exactly you managed to solve it.