[Fedora-packaging] Python Virtual Provides

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 18:30:45 UTC 2008

I've added Python Virtual Provides to the list of draft guidelines.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Python

There are two parts:
1) introduce virtual provides for python eggs.  Copying from the way we
do rubygems, this would be:

Provides: pythonegg(SQLAlchemy) = %{version}
Requires: pythonegg(SQLAlchemy) >= 0.3.11

2) introduce virtualprovides for normal python modules:

Provides: python(sqlalchemy) = %{version}
Requires: python(sqlalchemy)

The motivation for this is that David Malcolm (dmalcolm) wrote a proof
of concept script to show how easy it would be to extract egg dependency
information as part of the rpm build process.

Since this will be a far reaching change, should it be discussed on
fedora-devel-list first or whether we want to do both parts?