[Fedora-packaging] Emphasize correct hostname for SF.net URLs

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Jan 13 22:08:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 12:25:00PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:
> >> according toseveral messages about the source URL check in
> >> fedora-devel, people used to think that the correct hostname for
> >> Source0 from Sourceforge packages is download, but it is downloads.
> >> Therefore I propose to emphasize the correct hostname in the
> >> Source:URL guidelines by adding an admonition like this:
> >> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/SourceURL_sourceforge_downloads_admonition
>
> Hmm, what I have in several of my packages is
> Source: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/%{name}/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
>
> Is this deprecated or likely to disappear?

Probably only the people at sourceforge know. All I know is that I only
remember problems with all other URLs except for the recommended URL.
The problems range from URLs not working anymore or the redirection to
the actual mirror not working. Also the only "downside" of the URL is
that it is longer than using some sf.net URL, but I would just use the
recommended URL and problem solved. In your case it also only requires
to remove tho characters, which can pretty easy be automated:

If only your packages are checked out in your CVS directory:

sed -i 's/pr\(downloads.sourceforge\)/\1/' */devel/*.spec

But I am not sure, if a commit easily works:
cvs commit */devel/*.spec

Regards
Till