[Fedora-packaging] Emphasize correct hostname for SF.net URLs

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Mon Jan 18 11:40:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 02:10:38PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Hmm, what I have in several of my packages is
> > > Source: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/%{name}/%{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
> > >
> > > Is this deprecated or likely to disappear?
>
> The prdownloads url lways pointed at the graphical/interactive mirror
> selection web page, as far as I know. It never was compatible with direct
> downloading via wget (spectool!) or curl.

Currently it works:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pam-mount/pam_mount-1.30.tar.bz2

> > Probably only the people at sourceforge know. All I know is that I only
> > remember problems with all other URLs except for the recommended URL.
>
> Sort of. Years ago, dl.sf.net (the short version of download.sf.net) used
> to work really fine as a DNS-based mirror chooser, but has suffered from
> increasing problems later when some of the mirror hosts started to time
> out often.
>
> $ host dl.sf.net|wc -l
> 14

The DNS-based mirror chooser seems to be a bad choice. It seems to me to
be the only that always causes trouble, probably because bad mirrors are
cached or something else. Just now it was the only one that did not work
out of four URLs I tried.
http://dl.sf.net/pam-mount/pam_mount-1.30.tar.bz2 - 404

The prdownloads and these URLs work:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/pam-mount/pam_mount-1.30.tar.bz2
http://downloads.sf.net/pam-mount/pam_mount-1.30.tar.bz2

> downloads.sf.net on the other hand points at a single IP.
>
> $ host downloads.sf.net|wc -l

And the hostname resolves to another IP than downloads.sourceforge.net:

host downloads.sf.net;host downloads.sourceforge.net
downloads.sf.net has address 216.34.181.129
downloads.sourceforge.net has address 216.34.181.59

Regards
Till