[Fedora-packaging] Usage of /var/db

Christian Krause chkr at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 28 10:49:42 UTC 2010

Hello,

During a review the following question came up:

Would it be OK if a package creates
/var/db/<pkgname>
for various kind of reasons (in this case a daemon would serve audio
files the user puts there)?

In Fedora only the nscd uses this directory:
/var/db/Makefile
/var/db/nscd/*

The FHS doesn't contain any specific guidelines about the usage of
/var/db/ and a quick web search revealed that on a couple of systems
some daemons use /var/db like this
/var/db/mysql
/var/db/openldap
etc.

1. Would it be acceptable in Fedora as well that a package creates
/var/db/<pkgname> ?

2. Would it make sense in this specific case, where a streaming server
would serve the audio files from this directory (per default)?
Personally I think that a collection of audio files should not be
considered a database and so it shouldn't be there. Since usually the
user has his audio collection in his home directory, I would just
configure the daemon that way, that the user has to specifically
configure the directory where the files reside the server should stream...

Thanks & Best regards,
Christian