[Fedora-packaging] Usage of /var/db

Christian Krause chkr at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 28 22:15:31 UTC 2010

On 01/28/2010 12:32 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 01/28/2010 11:49 AM, Christian Krause wrote:
>> 1. Would it be acceptable in Fedora as well that a package creates
>> /var/db/<pkgname>  ?
> I would vote against it and would recommend /var/lib/<package> or a
> subdirectory thereof.
>
> This way a package can "play whatever games", inside of this directory,
> if it needs to.

Ok, I fully agree that for other packages, which store their own
variable data, this would be the best solution.

>> 2. Would it make sense in this specific case, where a streaming server
>> would serve the audio files from this directory (per default)?
> What kind of files are inside of this "db" directory?
>
> Are they
> * an arbitrary directory hierarchy of plain "content" files?

Yes, basically these will be the collection of audio/mp3 files the user
wants to be served.

> * a prestructured directory hierarchy (prestructured to meet the demands
> of your application) of plain "content" files?
> * real "database" files (e.g. indicies on something else)?

No.

>> Since usually the
>> user has his audio collection in his home directory,
> Not in real deamon driven scenario. There he would have his audio
> collection in an arbitrary directory, (could be a decicated user's home,
> could be some directory below /srv, could be elsewhere).

Yeah, agreed. We cannot predict which directory the user will use at all.

>> I would just
>> configure the daemon that way, that the user has to specifically
>> configure the directory where the files reside the server should
>> stream...
> Agreed, that's how I would do it.

Ok, we'll go this way.

Thanks for the clarification.