[Fedora-packaging] Fast Moving Package updates (fldigi)

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 2 14:04:32 UTC 2010

On 01/07/10 12:30, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 07:07:45PM -0400, Berry, Randall wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am one of the maintainers of fldigi[1] which is a very active and fast
>> moving project. Minor upstream updates appear almost weekly. Should I be
>> adding these updates to rawhide at least? I don't want to flood the
>> system with updates but would like to keep the package fresh.
>>
> If you're up to the task of keeping it current, then updating it in rawhide
> is fine.  In the released branches, there's a never ending question of just
> how frequently people should be making updates.

I was thinking that a possible recommendation be:
- update rawhide regularly, testing yourself locally
- if any bugreports come in for an existing release, quickly build the
current, and place in testing, with a request for the reporter to test.
- Only on successful test by yourself and reporter against their
specific bug, should the build be pushed to stable.

Anyway, just some thoughts, mainly because I'm thinking of doing similar
based on cvs snapshots for audacity, at least while it continues to be
in 2+ year beta.

David.