[Fedora-packaging] Another clarification of the static library packaging guidelines

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 09:23:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:53:45 +0100, Richard wrote:

> > What about OCaml?
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:OCaml
> > is not mentioning static libraries at all.
>
> The *.a files in ocaml-*-devel aren't C code at all.

What has talked about C code?

> They contain machine code compiled from OCaml sources.

*confused*  Then there is no difference compared with libs compiled
from C (or C++ or other programming languages, which are compiled into
native code). So, why do you mention C?

> This is mentioned specifically in the guidelines above so I don't
> see how it's a problem.

The Wiki page about OCaml,

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:OCaml

does not mention "static" libraries at all. Hence there must some sort
of implicit exception with regard to the packaging guidelines.