[Fedora-packaging] Arch-specific Requires

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Tue Jul 6 15:52:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 11:40 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 07/06/2010 01:50 AM, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> > James Antill added this text re: when Requires should *not* be
> > arch-specific:
> >
> >         A package has a Build-Requires on a specific arch. library
> >         (because rpmbuild evaluates the %{_isa} at .src.rpm buildtime,
> >         and not at .src.rpm => .arch.rpm build time).
> >
> > I don't understand what this is saying.  Can anyone put this in more
> > lucid terms?
>
> Lets say you have BuildRequires: foo%{?_isa}. Koji makes the SRPM on a
> ppc builder, so %{_isa} is evaluated as (ppc-32). The SRPM is then
> handed to an x86_64 builder to build for x86_64, but it cannot meet the
> BuildRequires because foo(ppc-32) is not found.

Okay... So if I now understand correctly, this doesn't involve Requires
at all.

I was never trying to address BuildRequires in this draft; but if folks
feel like the addition of the ${_isa} stuff for Requires warrants some
accompanying "don't do this for BuildRequires" prose, I'll add that.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>