[Fedora-packaging] Another clarification of the static library packaging guidelines

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 15:58:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:22:50 +0100, Richard wrote:

> Maybe we can take a step back here and ask: why is this such a
> problem?

With "this" == what?

I've asked about exceptions to the static library packaging guidelines.
This has lead to helpful replies, such as those about Tcl/Tk stub libs.
The bz tickets filed about those packages have been closed automatically.

> The guidelines are quite moderate in their tone.  They say:
>
>   "Packages including libraries should exclude static libs as far as
>   possible (eg by configuring with --disable-static). Static libraries
>   should only be included in exceptional circumstances. Applications
>   linking against libraries should as far as possible link against
>   shared libraries not static versions. [...] In general, packagers are
>   strongly encouraged not to ship static libs unless a compelling reason
>   exists."
>
> However the tone of this thread is extreme.

Ah, come on! It isn't extreme just because you call it extreme. :-(
Can you quote a piece you consider "extreme"?

> Any *.a file must
> apparently never appear anywhere outside a *-static package, no matter
> what, even if it's been like this forever (eg. libgcc.a, libiberty,
> etc) or even if it's not causing a problem for anyone (OCaml code).

Well, if we have guidelines _and_ exceptions to them, we [=> FESCo or
the packaging committee] should choose between either one for every package
in the collection. And honestly, I don't understand yet what "problem"
you refer to.