[Fedora-packaging] Another clarification of the static library packaging guidelines

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 19:39:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 18:55:42 +0100, Richard wrote:

> Michael, I'm on the defensive here because I've poured a huge amount
> of work == time into getting OCaml packages into Fedora, to the stage
> where we are almost now competitive with Debian.  So I get defensive
> about this.
>
> I got an email saying that a package was "violating the Static
> Packaging Guidelines",

It would be less destructive, if you would point out false positives and
preferably give hints on how to avoid them, instead of trying to fight
needlessly. Let's see:

Do you refer to "cduce"?

cduce : does not adhere to Static Library Packaging Guidelines
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/609600

| cduce-devel
|    contains only static libraries,
|    but no virtual -static package is provided

It isn't in the "-ocaml" namespace, so a closer look is necessary.
The libs are stored below  %_libdir/ocaml/  which might be a sufficient
detail to ignore any such packages.

So, my resulting question is: Are there other packages with .a libraries
compiled with OCaml, which cannot be recognised based on the path name?