[Fedora-packaging] Arch-specific Requires

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Thu Jul 8 06:33:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 08:04 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 06:59 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> >> _isa in BuildRequires doesn't work atm. and shouldn't be used. There
> >> are possible fixes, but all of them are non-trivial.
> >
> > "Doesn't work" is, err, rather vague.
> >
> > ISA in BuildRequires works just fine (buildsys and all). BUT using it in
> > Fedora infrastructure breaks the SRPM repository&  its users (like
> > yum-builddep) which are built under the assumption SRPMs are
> > arch-independent.
>
> Explicit %_isa in any "*requires:" breaks updates when a package changes
> its architecture (noarch <-> "arch").

This strikes me as an uncommon (if not rare) occurrence.  Nonetheless...

If your package changes from noarch -> arch, the potential to maintain
compatibility with dependents (without a rebuild) is highly suspect.
Regardless, this is a situation that must be coordinated with downstream
packages.

Changing from arch -> noarch probably stands a better chance of not
introducing breakage on its own; especially if the "arch"-ness was a
mistake or happenstance (e.g., the introduction of noarch subpackages
gave us some such transitions).  In cases where "arch"-ness is a mistake
or happenstance, the recommendations in this draft do not advise
dependents to use arch-specific Requires.

If there were a real transition of a *library or -devel* package from
being arch-specific to arch-independent, once again I am very doubtful
that compatibility with dependents could be maintained.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>